>> Regional Conventions
Protocol Concerning Cooperation in Combating Pollution of the Mediterranean Sea by Oil and Other Harmful Substances in cases of Emergency, Barcelona, 1976
To protect the Coastal States and the marine ecosystem of the Mediterranean Sea area against pollution by oil and other harmful substances.
Summary of Provisions:
- To cooperate in cases of pollution of the Mediterranean Sea area by oil and other harmful substances in cases of emergency
- To maintain and promote contingency plans and means for combating pollution of the sea by oil and other harmful substances
- To develop and apply monitoring activities covering the Mediterranean Sea area and to cooperate in the salvage and recovery of harmful substances.
- To disseminate to other parties information on their competent national authorities for combating pollution, on reports of pollution, on matters concerning measures of assistance, on new ways to avoid and new measures to combat pollution and on the development of related research programmes.
- To coordinate the utilization of their means of communication.
- To issue instructions to the masters of ships and aircraft to report all accidents causing or likely to cause pollution, and the presence, characteristics and extent of spillage. Such information to be communicated to the other parties.
- To make the necessary assessments and to take every practicable measure to avoid or reduce the pollution under emergency.
Date of Adoption:
16.2.1976 (Barcelona, Spain)
Date of entry into force:
Lebanon, Syrian Arab Republic