>> International Conventions
Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, Paris 1972
To establish an effective system of collective protection of the cultural and natural heritage of outstanding universal value organized on a permanent basis and in accordance with modern scientific methods.
Summary of Provisions:
- Each State party recognizes that the duty of identification, protection, conservation and transmission to future generations of cultural and natural heritage belongs primary to that State.
- Two categories of sites are recognized: Cultural Heritage Sites and Natural Heritage Sites
Date of Adoption:
Date of entry into force:
Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen
Natural Heritage Sites in the Arab World:
- Tassili N'Ajjer (Algeria)
- The Oryx Reserve at Jidat Al Harassis (Oman)
- Ikhil National Park (Tunisia)